Fordham University | Master of Science in Teaching, Adolescent Education: English | 2007
State University of New York College at Oneonta | Bachelor of Science, English Language and Literature | 2001
NEW! Civil Rights Then and Now: A Timeline of the Fight for Equality in America
Take a crash course in the social justice issues that keep the United States from realizing its promise of equality!
This civil right book for kids is simultaneously a guide for parents and educators who worry about broaching the topics of racism, discrimination, and prejudice. Civil Rights Then and Now: A Timeline of the Fight for Equality in America presents the reader with facts, biographies, and landmark supreme court cases in an easily digestible manner and within a historical context. The minor editorializing helps to guide readers to understand the events that have shaped the United States and then challenges them to become advocates for change. Included in this book are vocabulary lists, questions for comprehension and discussion, and even essay/journaling prompts.
This information-packed social justice book and civil rights timeline introduce readers to a selection of many critical civil rights movement events in black history. From the embarrassing origins of Slavery to the modern struggle against systemic and overt oppression, this book will spark conversations about subjects that we can no longer afford to ignore.
- “Anansi the Spider Lesson Plan and Activities” | WooJr.
- “10 Black Women Pioneers to Know for Black History Month” | WooJr.
- “Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters Lesson Plan and Activities” | WooJr.
- “Black Heroes of the American Revolution Activities and Lesson Plan” | WooJr.
- “Gather the Wind” Zine (Two Issues) | 2017
- “Thinking Outside The Box: An Inside Look at Homeschooling” | Weemagine | October 2016
- “Each Hour, Each Day: How My Family Anchors Me Against the Darkness of Depression” | For Harriet | May 2015
- “Death in My Life” | Kristinabrooke.net | 2014
- “Four Steps to a Killer Skills-Based Resume” | Be Artful Media Virtual Solutions | 2012
- “A Better Class Of Black Role Models” | We of Hue | May 2012
- “Tools to Help Teach Young Children to Read” | Examiner.com | April 2012
- “Jay-Z’s Respect: Too Little, Too Late” | We of Hue | January 2012
- “Marriage Confidential By Pamela Haag: A Book Review” | We of Hue | June 2012
- “Teacher’s are NOT the Enemy of True Education Reform” | We of Hue | March 2012
- “Moving from Adversity to Global Action” | Global Moms (Million Moms Challenge) | February 2013
- “On Seeing Color” | We Of Hue | January 2012
- “The Fight for Troy Davis; A Fight for the Soul Of The USA” | We of Hue | September 2011
- “Homeschooling Myths Debunked” | We of Hue | March 2011
- “The Fall of The Gracious Winner and The Reflective Loser” | We of Hue | June 2010
- “Summer Fashion Lab Program at LIM College Accepting Homeschooled Participants” | Examiner.com | April 2012
- “American Museum of Natural History Offers Numerous Events for Children this Month” | Examiner.com | April 2010
- “What We Tell Our Children” | Moms of Hue | January 2010
- “An Open Letter to Chris Brown’s Mother” | We of Hue | January 2010
- “Mental Illness is Cause for Concern Not Laughter” | Moms of Hue | 2010
- “Lessons from an Alleged Race Traitor” | Moms of Hue |June 2010
- “I Matter” | Moms of Hue | December 2009
- “Let’s Talk. Can We Define Race?” | Moms of Hue | July 2009
- “How to Spring Clean Your Resume” | Brightfuse | 2009
- “Heartbreak in Las Vegas” | Travelingmom.com Travel Stories | 2009
- “Why I Love Blogs” | Epiphany Magazine: A Celebration in Writing | June 2004
- “Writing Exercises for the Blocked” | Epiphany Magazine: A Celebration in Writing | June 2003
- Happiness Engineer | Automattic, Inc. | 2017 – Present
- Creative Director and Web Developer | Be Artful Media, LLC | 2009 – 2017
- Homeschooling Co-Op Teacher | 2009 – Present
- Blogger | Various | 1998 – Present
- Freelance Writer | Various | 1997 – Present
- Social Media Content Creator/Manager | Various | 2009 – 2016
- Managing Editor | Moms of Hue/ We of Hue | 2009 – 2012
- English Teacher | Harry S Truman High School, Bronx, NY| 2004 – 2009
- Publisher/Managing Editor | Epiphany Magazine | 1997 – 2004
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLIC PERFORMANCES
- “How to Be a Kitchen Witch” | Flash Talk at Automattic, INC Grand Meetup | 2018
- Selections from ” Gather the Wind” Zine | Phoenix Zine Fest Poetry Reading | October 2017
- Panelist at United Nations’ Week at “Mashable’s Digital Media Lounge | September 2010
- “Using Technology in the Classroom” Professional Development Workshop | Harry S Tuman High School | 2004